Monday, October 5, 2009

thoughts for today

It's the first full week in October and here are some things I've got on my mind.

1. They put executions on hold in Indiana because they couldn't find a vein on a guy. Are you kidding? The news people say, "It wasn't even a doctor performing it?" Doctors NEVER put in IVs. It is almost always nurses or technicians. Plus, I'd like to know how many death row inmates have a history of sticking themselves with nasty little needles to inject extravasating drugs into their arms. I'm not convinced they should get a stay of execution because they have ruined their own veins. Find one! Put a PICC line in 'em! Take 'em to a really fancy radiology suite and find a nice plump jugular. So now because it took two hours to try to kill one guy, they next few guys in line get a break. Seems reasonable to me.

2. Swine flu vaccine is out today. I'm thinking I'll get it when it's available. I'm not a fan of attenuated virus vaccines, but this damn bug is infecting everyone and I don't want to be the one to bring it to work unknowingly. I'm glad I'm not pregnant so I don't have to make a decision on that front, but it has made a lot of people miserable. My nephew, coworkers, facebook friends and many others and I'd rather keep functioning this fall.

3. I think it's funny when nurses and doctors who go to meet with the President wear scrubs and/or white coats. Just in case he and others don't know your role? Just in case you need to do a little work while you're at the White House? Dress up people.

4. The big Twins games were this weekend and tomorrow night. I'm sure glad for the escape that these things give me. Day-to-day life is made so much more exciting to share in the joy of a Twins win like was had at the Metrodome Saturday afternoon and evening. If all the world have the same team to cheer for, the same goals, the same sense of community it would be a place of so much potential. Almost 50,000 people with the same hopes and dreams in that stadium was something to behold. You walk out of there thinking the world could be a better place if we all tried harder.

5. Fall always feels like the beginning of something. School is some shape or form has been a part of my life for almost all of my 30 years, so fall brings with it a sense of optimism. A new beginning, new things to learn, time to try new things. I'm excited about it.

No comments: