Monday, November 10, 2008

Peace and Noble Strength

Who are they? It's funny how one spends so much time picking out a name for a baby, only to find out that there is a right one. Who knew?

Olivia = peace, a symbol, as in the olive branch
She is something. She is so patient and caring, has the sweetest heart of anyone I know. Her name didn't come from studying baby-name books for hours on end. Nope, we vaguely knew another Olivia, I liked the idea of older, classy names. It sounded good. It stuck. My Olivia Kathleen is a people-pleaser, a helper, even when I don't ask her to be, and so generous. She is a lover, not a fighter. I love her because she gives me hugs and says, "Love you" first sometimes. When I'm crabby or frustrated, she says such profound things as, "Don't worry, Mom. It's OK." So simple! So easy is she! Olivia is already a typical oldest child. She's responsible and mostly organized (she is only 6) and is a caretaker for sure. I regret that I was so busy for four or five of her first years, but she benefits from being very close with her extended family, from growing up in Rapid City around most of them. They are her favorite people and she is one of theirs. I hope to be the person, the mother, Olivia sees in me because then I'd be good enough.

Audrey = noble strength
Sassafrass! She's a firecracker! I have a feeling that she is as strong-willed a person as there is. She already has so much to say, and although we don't know what she's talking about, she's talking. Her name came up early on the list of Girl names, but was ultimately Dad's choosing. It fits my criteria of not too trendy, older and kind-of classic, and not too easy to misspell or mispronouce. Audrey Grace has a loving side and can be very welcoming. She is the first to say "Mama!" and run to the steps when she hears the garage door shut at night. She's got a charm and a grin that is hard to deny. Audrey, too, is generous and will share anything, right down to the crackers from her mouth. She is a curious explorer, but knows enough to know when she's gotten in too far. I love her because she seems to know something about me... she needs me just enough so that I get my fill and is independent enough to keep me wanting more.

No comments: